By | July 14, 2017


Q. Good day po, Atty. Wong! Nabasa ko po yung column nyo sa BALITA (

Fil Canadian community newspaper) over the Internet. Narito po ako ngayon

sa Philippines. Gusto ko po sanang humingi ng legal advice. Sana po

matulungan nyo ako. We have an issue about my child.

On the child's birth certificate, the child uses the Father's last name. He is a

Filipino but migrated to US when he was younger thus, listed on the child's

birth certificate for his citizenship as an American. The child's birth wasn't

reported and filed a CRBA by his father. I need to tell you Atty. that the child

is ILLEGITIMATE, his father was MARRIED to someone else and he

PASSED AWAY 6 years ago. The " family" knows about the child, sir.

I have an American fiancé po ako ngayon and we are planning to process the

K1/ K2 visa. My fiancé opted to seek a visa agency to help him on paper

works as he is always busy with his job. Pero sabi ng agency, need daw ng

bata na palitan yung apelyido nya sa apelyido ko as this will most likely not

pass Embassy scrutiny, since the Father's citizenship was listed as American

and although he signed an Acknowledgement of Paternity but no CRBA was


My fiancé and I are having discussions na po about the visa agency na kinuha

nya kasi sabi ko hindi naman sila Immigration Specialists. They all based on

mere experience lang. Hesitant po kasi ako na palitan yung last name ng

bata kasi 12 years old na sya ngayon at baka ma confuse pa. Aside from that

Batas PINOY Corner


“Laws relating to family rights and duties,or to

the status, condition and legal capacity of

persons are binding upon Filipino citizens,

even though living abroad.” (Article 15 Civil

Code of the Philippines)


mas mahaba po yung proseso at need po ng court order. Sana po

matulungan nyo ako sa sitwasyon ko. Thanks po at sana marami pa kayong

matutulungan na mga kababayan natin sa pamamagitan ng BALITA.

Pagpalain po kayo.

ANS: Kindly note that the use of the surname of the deceased biological

father of your son, despite being an illegitimate child is allowed by law . The

fact that the father’s surname is reflected in the birth certificate of the child

only show that the father not only consented to the use of his surname, but

duly recognized the paternity and filial relations of your son with him. The fact

that the birth of your son was not earlier reported to the US Consular Office,

through the Consular Report of Birth Abroad(CRBA) as a child of an American

Citizen,is not the end of the world for the child. Such omission did not erase

the fact of the paternity recognition of your son by the biological father who is

a U.S. citizen conferred upon your son US citizenship.


Furthermore, should you wish to change the surname of the child to your

surname being an illegitimate child, the process requires legal proceedings.

Depending on the assessment by the Office of the Civil Registrar of your

documents, you may be required to file a petition in the Family Court .And

there is no certainty depending on the appreciation by the Judge of your

evidence, whether the court will grant your petition not to mention the fact

that the judicial process could take a longer period .


Moreover, the rule of thumb in dealing with the US Consular authorities and/or

with the Canadian Consular Officers, among others, is just be truthful about

the situation and the condition of your son. Do not commit any fraud or any

form of misrepresentation.

The fact that the biological father of your son is already dead and coupled with

the fact of your long separation , could be reasons enough to justify the late

reporting or failure to register the fact of birth of your son by a US citizen.


The fact that your son was born with a US citizen father, is therefore entitled

to the issuance of US passport as a US citizen. All you have to do is prove

his US citizenship. And the best proof of such US citizenship is the birth

certificate of your son and bearing the signature of his deceased American

father. Such signature conclusively indicates that your son is duly recognized

child of a US citizen father as his offspring.


Considering further that your son is still a minor and his US father is already

deceased, you being the legal guardian of your minor son, can do the

reporting yourself using the Form DS-2029 . You can secure the said form

from the US Consular in Manila and submit it to the nearest U.S. embassy or


consulate for their review and consideration.


In view of the foregoing and for further professional assistance, you may

confer with a competent and qualified immigration lawyer for well-grounded

course of actions.

Looking forward you’ll find the above in order as the “Batas Pinoy Global

Community”(BPGC), welcomes you in this program.

NOTICE: Due to the long queue of patrons waiting to be accommodated, this

corner will NOT entertain  follow up queries , piecemeal , speculative or

clarificatory questions relative to your email.

Disclaimer: Batas Pinoy Global Community(BPGC). Not Legal opinion:


Material placed on this corner  is for the purpose of providing information only. Any communication from this

corner does not create lawyer-client relationship of whatever nature and for whatever purpose. It is not

intended as  practice of law or legal services.  Although the writer believes this information to be accurate at

the time it is first provided or as relayed by the person asking or soliciting the information from the writer.

Such circumstances or  understanding of the facts as conveyed to the writer  by the sender may not actually

reflect the ultimate facts or circumstances earlier represented and  as understood by the writer.


This writer makes no representation, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness or timeliness of

the information provided in this writing. The contents provided by Batas Pinoy Global Community(BPGC)

are not meant as substitute for legal opinion. Always consult your lawyer or other legal professionals for

legal advice as regards the emailed or forwarded queries and the corresponding information furnished or as

viewed by BPGC.


Readers who may have legal concerns affecting their persons, property, rights,title and related interest

concerning Philippine laws and jurisdiction, are welcome to e-mail their query either in English or Pilipino

in plain, concise and orderly presentation of facts, (as no follow-up or clarification of queries will be

entertained to give way to others in the queue ) in order to avoid vagueness and misappreciation of the facts

of your stories. For appropriate information write to: